Saturday, January 30, 2016

On another cloudy day

I'm not sure if it shows up in this picture, but since it's so cloudy out, the buildings lining Frankfurter Allee looked much less mono-tone than usual - there are actually different shades of stone all along the building.


And since it's the weekend, I have time to tell a story:

I took this picture on the way to the Geldautomat (ATM) to get some cash, but when I got to the bank where it's located, the lobby area (with the usual machines) was closed. Through another set of glass doors I could see a small room with a few promising-looking machines, but there were also two men sitting on the floor, looking like they were camped out. 

I immediately decided I could go to another ATM. While these men were likely just cold and harmless, I'm risk averse.

As I was walking away, a woman walked up to me and asked me something - once we switched to english, I realized she was offering to go into the little glass room together. She also needed cash, and she suggested we support each other. She walked ahead of me up to the door, but after looking at the men inside, she actually changed her mind and started walking away. 

And then another woman hurries up to us. After a rapid exchange in German, they lead us all back up to the door and head in. As the first woman gets her money out, I linger in the door and hold open because I've realized that one of the men is actually smoking a cigarette, sitting cross-legged on the floor. As I look around the room, I also notice a third man, tucked behind another machine - hopefully it was cozy back there.

I'm last at the ATM, and I am not sure I have ever gone so fast - I didn't even push the buttons to translate to English. My supports stay (one of them hands one of the men a Euro) and then we all hurry back out, eager to get on our ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment