Saturday, November 14, 2015

Hope For Peace

Around noon, I got an email from my choir director asking if anyone would be willing to join a small group to sing Le Marseillaise in front of the French Embassy this afternoon. I agreed to go - I wished (and still do wish) to do something to show support for the victims of yesterday's attacks. David came with, and he took today's pictures.


The French Embassy is located by Brandenburg Tor, on Pariser Platz. As we approached, it became clear that the square, which is usually full of tourists, was playing host to a sort of impromptu vigil. The mood was somber, and police and news trucks were all around. I didn't expect the crowds when I headed over, but maybe I should have. 


The embassy itself was blocked off, and people were gathered by the barricades, gathered to light candles. We formed a small circle up by the front. As someone had pointed out that the words to La Marseillaise are rather warlike, some of us felt more comfortable simply carrying the melody. I think we'd originally expected people to sing along, but instead the silence seemed to grow more profound. After we sang it through once, a single voice continued from the crowd - either a repeat or the next verse, and we joined again near the end.

And then the singing was over. I felt this sense of expectancy from the crowd, like we had got everyone's attention by singing, like we had asked a question - but we didn't provide an answer. I had no idea what it was, so David and I cut out of there. Now, after thinking about it all evening, I wish that we had continued - not with a repeat of La Marseillaise, but with a song of peace.


Because I have profound sympathy for the victims of the attacks, and that was what I meant to show. But I feel there's a dark side to national anthems. I don't think that nationalism is the answer to stopping terrorism, and I don't stand with France if her next move is to close her borders to refugees. And I am worried about a resurgence of Islamophobia - a resurgence of racism. I am worried about the hate and war than might ensue. Let us all hope for peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment